Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Condos coming to Whitby Shores
03-15-2013, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 05:01 PM by Dee.)
RE: Condos coming to Whitby Shores
This is the comment I put on our facebook page today...thank you Aisha for sharing with us:

Just how many condos (people, cars) can they stuff down here? Yesterday I was at the traffic light on Brock/Victoria going south at 4:05pm. The northbound traffic was backed up from Victoria all the way to Water Street and that's without more condos in the harbour, Sobeys lands, GO station - all of which there doesn't seem to be any overall controls on. And it's during March break when you would expect LESS traffic. It's getting ridiculous trying to get around in rush hour already. The infrastructure is not in place to handle this and it probably never will be (south Whitby neglected for many years), there are only so many ways out of our communities!!! We need council to pay attention to this, the massing needs to be controlled.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE: PORT WHITBY RESIDENTS

cheers, Davina

(03-15-2013 09:08 AM)momofthree Wrote:  A quick update:

- These proposed condos are new and have not been in the works for years (contrary to what many folks in the area thought).
- There was a 14 storey condo planned at Gordon and Gordon (right across from Ontario Shores Mental Health) but that was reduced to "stacked townhomes" which will be 3 storeys.
- The proposal is intended to change several existing by-laws - one that limits high rise buildings to 6-storeys (as outlined above), one that outlines specific areas within Whitby that are designated for high density (ie. high rise condos)
- There are additional stacked town homes coming on Gordon right behind the Pub so right now, the full length of Gordon will be town homes (all "stacked/3-storey" I believe) and these would be the only high rise condos

The purpose of the meeting on Monday (Mar 17) is to hear feedback from the community about the proposal to amend the required by-laws. The meeting will begin at 7pm.

If you are not able to make it but have concerns, you are welcome to email planning@whitby.ca. They will add you to their "interested parties" contact list so you are informed as things develop.

Did you know that the Town has already approved 11 condos (9 to 33 stories) and a 30 unit townhome development in Olde Port Whitby (all of which were done without proper waterfront planning which they are trying to play catch up on now, but we already have the cart before the horse!)

EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE: PORT WHTIBY RESIDENTS

Cheers, Davina
one more comment I put on our PORT WHITBY RESIDENTS facebook page: and if the Town tries to get you to agree because the developer will go to OMB...TELL THE TOWN IT'S UP TO THEM TO STAND UP TO OMB BECAUSE WE CANNOT HANDLE THE LOAD OF PEOPLE...WE CAN BARELY GET OUT OF OUR COMMUNITIES IN RUSH HOUR AS IT IS

cheers, Davina
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Hi all; please find the report at this link.

http://www.whitby.ca/en/Calendar/default...03/18/2013

Select the meeting and then go into the agenda item from the planning committee.

On Monday night the direction is to hear from the public; if you cannot make it make sure you submit your comments in to the planning department. You can also contact myself at roye@whitby.ca.

You will have opportunity to speak to this report on Monday and your comments will also be recorded with this file.

Any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Regards
Elizabeth Roy
03-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Quote:Just how many condos (people, cars) can they stuff down here? Yesterday I was at the traffic light on Brock/Victoria going south at 4:05pm. The northbound traffic was backed up from Victoria all the way to Water Street.

Really? That scenario sounds pretty rare. To be honest, in that direction, I've rarely seen very much traffic. Considering how awesome it is to drop my wife off at the GO station from Whitby Shores with basically no traffic while epic lineups are waiting to make the left off of Henry St. from the north, I find the argument that our neighbourhood can't handle more density a little hard to take with a straight face. That being said, while we can certainly handle more density, there is a point where we would lose the Whitby Shores advantage. The only time at present we have traffic problems is right after a GO Train comes in, to make a left on Brock St. or getting trapped in the stop sign lineup on Henry St. Hopefully when the Henry/Burns stop sign is converted to a traffic light, that would help. I know that's a done deal and will happen eventually but I wish they'd do it tomorrow, long overdue.
03-17-2013, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 10:01 PM by momofthree.)
(03-15-2013 11:00 PM)kcbda Wrote:  
Quote:Just how many condos (people, cars) can they stuff down here? Yesterday I was at the traffic light on Brock/Victoria going south at 4:05pm. The northbound traffic was backed up from Victoria all the way to Water Street.

Really? That scenario sounds pretty rare. To be honest, in that direction, I've rarely seen very much traffic. Considering how awesome it is to drop my wife off at the GO station from Whitby Shores with basically no traffic while epic lineups are waiting to make the left off of Henry St. from the north, I find the argument that our neighbourhood can't handle more density a little hard to take with a straight face. That being said, while we can certainly handle more density, there is a point where we would lose the Whitby Shores advantage. The only time at present we have traffic problems is right after a GO Train comes in, to make a left on Brock St. or getting trapped in the stop sign lineup on Henry St. Hopefully when the Henry/Burns stop sign is converted to a traffic light, that would help. I know that's a done deal and will happen eventually but I wish they'd do it tomorrow, long overdue.

The density is coming.. there is an apartment building development coming on Gordon just north of the mental health hospital with 252 units plus town homes coming right behind the Oak (not sure how many). These newly proposed 541 units (townhomes + 3 condo buildings) are in addition to the hundreds of units already approved that are north and south of the Gordon/Scadding block, which I'm guessing puts Gordon street over 1,000 units!
03-17-2013, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 11:53 PM by kcbda.)
Again, isn't the first project merely phase 3 of the Senator Homes Harbourside development? There's a Senator Homes customer care trailer on this land right now if you mean right where Gordon Street curves toward Ontario Shores. I purchased in phase one three years ago and this land already said "condos + townhouses phase three". How is it a new project or even recently approved?

I don't doubt your concerns about too much density too fast, that's legitimate but I do fear that some people are perhaps opposed to any development whatsoever which doesn't make sense. Whitby Shores is a hidden gem and an undervalued one in real estate terms. These sort of projects have the potential to make this the landmark destination that it should be and would thus increase everyone's property value as well as attract added retail and other developments which would in turn increase demand in this area further. You can't just move into a great neighbourhood and block additional people from sharing it. I'm sure some people opposed the Harbourside project when it first began too and that's where I live.
03-18-2013, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 01:19 PM by Newbird.)
I use the track along Gordon street to walk everyday at least during the summer with my Kids. It is so safe and so beautiful there to walk or bike with the family. I just hate the years of construction , mud, gravel, cranes and noise which will definitely make me change paths and walk somewhere else. This is however, the best area. Twice I have seen deer in this area. There were two on west side of Gordon just a couple of weeks ago. I guess they live somewhere on the east side of Gordon.

While I was expecting a 12 story high condominium on the south most piece of land by Senator homes, this huge development feels very uncomfortable. It will change the feel of the whole area. My main concerns are A- traffic on Gordon street B- Overcrowding in school C- Overcrowding in Go train and parking.

personally I would have loved the town homes or low rise development.
03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Just think that once these last remaining parcels of land are developed here, there is no where else to build around our little subdivision. Well at least south of Victoria. The sky is the limit on the other side of the harbour though and frankly I hope something is done on that side soon. Our waterfront is an embarassment.
03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I would like to give highlight to what took place this evening at the planning meeting regarding this proposal. Public comments and emails that have been sent have been documented; the only action that was taken was to receive the information. This does not mean the council supports the proposal.

Feedback from council to this application is that the proposal is not in line to the direction of the council from the past. Discussion was had about infrastructure, traffic, impact to community, safety concerns, fitting into the scope of what Whitby Shores lifestyle exists.

Want to thank all the community members that did come out for this meeting; especially with this weather. For those of you who did not have the ability you have full opportunity to submit further emails. Send to planning@whitby.ca and also to my email at roye@whitby.ca.

Any questions feel free to contact me.

Regards
Elizabeth Roy
05-26-2014, 09:58 PM
New Notice of Public Meeting on June 16.

Looks like the developer has come back with a new proposal...537 units in 4 buildings 6 stories high + some town homes that would back up against the existing homes.

It's file Z-25-12. I couldn't find it on line yet.. received it in the mail today.

Interesting the total units is about the same last proposed.. they just added a building and reduced the height. Still has to pass council because it's high density and zoning is still for industrial.
06-14-2014, 09:06 PM
https://whitby.civicweb.net/FileStorage/DA5FE773CA3949D8B1B3A4B2DF261B06-PL%2042-14%20Staff%20Report.pdf
Here is the report for all of you to review.

Monday night is a night to collect information on this proposal; if you are unable to attend please send your emails into the planning department with your comments and feedback.