Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Primus vs. Rogers vs. Bell
12-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Primus vs. Rogers vs. Bell
Hey all, not sure if this is where this should go, but thought I might try it here.

With our Rogers contract now done, I was looking for the best deal with looking at a "bundle" (wireless, internet, landline - maybe TV). Does anyone in the area have any experience with Primus? Their quotes are a lot lower than either Rogers or Bell, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used their services?

Thanks for any feedback anyone can give.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2007, 10:16 AM
RE: Primus vs. Rogers vs. Bell
It's probably a good time to closely examine your usage and features on all of your services, and then start shopping around. A bundle "deal" at one of the big two might be convenient for billing, but it's probably fairly easy to beat their prices if you do your homework. Companies that include services - like wireless phone companies that bundle caller ID and voicemail instead of gouging you per month for them - will come out on top. Wireless and internet services are both pretty competitive markets now.

We went through this about two years ago. After evaluating what we were paying for DSL internet plus a Bell landline with caller ID, plus a third-party long-distance plan, we ended up switching it all over to "dry" DSL from a new provider and porting our phone number over to Vonage with the 500 minute/month plan. We ended up saving about $25 per month.
01-04-2008, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2008 01:22 AM by Buddy.)
Thanks for the feedback!
01-09-2008, 12:45 PM
The only problem with "naked" DSL is that if your DSL goes down for some reason you have no home phone (Vonage in this case). Not a situation I would like to be in. And given what's happening with Vonage these days I wouldn't go that route for anything. At least not as my primary line. You can use your cell phone but it can be hard to get a "cell" when things like blackouts occurr. For me I bundled with Bell and get a discount on all products: Satellite, Land Line, 2 Cell phones and DSL. Whoever you choose most providers will offer a bundle for sure.

Jordan.

Buddy Wrote:Thanks for the feedback!
08-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Internet Providers
Okay -- I'm now at the point where its my turn to shop around.

I keep hearing about connectivity issues in our area -- does anyone have negative (or positive) experiences that they might want to share for someone looking for an internet provider?
08-14-2008, 11:49 PM
I've been with Rogers for almost 4 years in Whitby Shores.. and generally have no problems. I'd even say each year I've been with them (close to 10 now), it's become better. Even with a power blackout I have a UPS that I plug my Rogers box and router into so I have connectivity.

I work from home 60%-70% of the time and deal with senior executives, thus a reliable network is a must for me.
08-15-2008, 08:34 AM
My $.02 is that Cable is great if there are few other subscribers in your neighbourhood. DSL is a great way to get around this issue but it will get slowed down at peak periods due to congestion on the Internet. So personally I would go for the lowest cost option that is truly unlimited. In other words no overuse charges. Bell's cap is 70 Gigs I think and Rogers just kicks you off if you cause bandwidth problems. Both Rogers and Bell offer a Wi-Fi solution which is pretty cool. You can power the modem from almost any source (no internal battery though) and take the Internet with you!

Jabber.
08-19-2008, 10:38 AM
When I lived in the area I used Rogers and found them to be very reliable. Connection speeds were also very fast, even during peak times. For 3 years of my 7 years at Whitby Shores I used VoIP from Vonage over my Rogers line and not once did I experience an outage. I'm using them again in my new home and although we've only been here about 7 months it's been rock solid.